Think you’re allergic to fruit? Think again.October 19, 2010
There’s nothing worse than biting into a big beautiful bowl of luscious strawberries and having your face break out into welts. Life imitating food?
In the case of many, allergies to food can be an uncomfortable and even life-threatening situation. But in some instances, the supposed allergy might not be about the food at all, but what it’s been sprayed, coated or handled with.
Read this testimonial from one of our customers and let us know if you’ve had a similar situation.
“I love my fruits; especially green apples, peaches and plums. However, I have had to proceed with caution when I eat fruits over the last few years because of an allergy to unpeeled fruits I have developed. My reaction was usually mild itching around my lips or in the back of my throat. This summer, however, it appears that I bit more than I could chew–literally, when I had a severe allergic reaction while snacking on a bowl of green apples. Even though I rinsed the apple before slicing it and eating, it seems that rinsing with water was not enough to get rid of all traces of pesticides on the skin. About 10 minutes after consuming the first 3 slices, my lips and throat began to itch and shortness of breath. I threw out the rest of the apples, washed my face and drank a glass of water, hoping it would alleviate the itching. After nearly 45 minutes of the itching not subsiding, I checked my face in the mirror and was shocked and horrified at the monster looking back at me. My lips had swollen to comical proportions. After scouring the Internet for my symptoms, I came across numerous other horror stories of facial swelling from similar food borne allergies. I finally found a suggestion not to panic and take Benadryl or another antihistamine, then apply ice for a few hours until the swelling went down. After an embarrassing trip to Walgreens for some Benadryl and applying ice overnight, I woke up and felt a little better. The itching subsided and my lips eventually returned to its normal size during the day. I swore I would write off apples and other fruits for good.
As the Marketing Coordinator for WorldofGreen.com–the newest online destination for eco-friendly products and green living tips–I have had the privilege of working with some of the most passionate and eco-conscious merchants of green products. After months of promoting the benefits of Eat Cleaner to the public and the media, I finally decided to try Eat Cleaner for myself. I purchased the full size Fruit & Vegetable wash along with some of the biodegradable to-go wipes. With some trepidation, I decided to pick up some green apples at my local grocer and spray them with Eat Cleaner before biting into the apple with the skin on. I took a bite and waited a few minutes. I didn’t feel the tingling itch that I anticipated. I ate the entire apple relieved to know that I can once again able to enjoy one of my favorite snacks. The wipes are so convenient and I always carry one in my lunch bag. I have yet to try the plums and peaches, but so far I am very pleased to not have to fear eating apples. As a habit, I spray my fruit, vegetables and seafood every time I cook. I can see the brown residue runoff in the sink with each spray, and it is just wonderfully reassuring to know that there is an all-natural product like Eat Cleaner that can remove harmful pesticides and dirt rinsing with water alone simply can’t do.”
- Theresa Stultz, North Palm Beach, FL
Also, read this article just featured in the LA Times.